Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Moving Your Pet

As anyone who's tried it knows, moving with pets is not easy. The first time I tried it, I did everything wrong and was lucky to get my cat to our new home in one piece. Don't do what I did and put your son and cat in the back of a pickup and expect the trip to go smoothly. Dozens of scratches later, a dehydrated cat and frustrated son finally got out a few hours later.

I found a great article on moving your pets that I wished I had read before ill-planned trip. The most important first step is putting your pet in a sturdy pet carrier. Buy one sized for your pet and put in a favorite blanket or chew toy to make it comfortable. Be sure to update your pet's ID tags. If they escape enroute, you want to make sure you can be contacted as soon as possible.

Meet with your vet to make sure your pet's medication prescriptions are refilled and get a mild tranquilizer, if needed. Let your pet out of the car for exercise. Keep them on a sturdy leash and let them stretch their legs for a few minutes.

Moving your pets does not have to be a traumatic experience for you and by taking a few simple steps, you both can have an enjoyable trip to your new home.

Labels: ,

del.icio.us Digg it Furl Google ma.gnolia Netvouz reddit Simpy Spurl Squidoo StumbleUpon Yahoo MyWeb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home